Just a Bit about Me

My photo
I love living in the South: great weather and kind, friendly people here! I have an awesome adult daughter who continues to amaze and delight me at every turn. I write mysteries for fun, love-Love-LOVE dark chocolate, and am experimenting here with a food holiday blog. Hope you'll drop me a line from time to time!

Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Hell of a Storm & Toad Song Farm

3:35 am. I was wide awake and terrified of the huge storm that punched its way through the inky pre-dawn blanket with a cacophony of thunder and snaps and shrieking wind that sounded like a banshee from hell, viciously punctuated by jagged streaks of lightning that resembled an over-the-top scene portraying a movie version of the last days in Revelations. I was really, really scared, for the first time in my life, of weather. I'm the one who stands outside during a hurricane and revels in the power of the wind. I'm the one who can feel ozone in the air long before the lightning strikes. I'm the one who watches for flipped-over leaves on trees: a no-fail indicator that rain is coming very soon. But this time I felt so alone, so vulnerable and that was frightening in and of itself! I truly thought at one point that I was hearing a tornado coming in - on the news this morning the anchors reported lots of straight line winds but no tornado, thank goodness. Since I was so scared, I decided to do some market research for Thistle Cottage's Business Plan. As I was checking to see what similar operations were in the area, I came across Toad Song Farm in Clayton. I already knew of their name from a gardening meet-up I've joined but I just didn't put two and two together. I heard 'farm' and thought 'farm' as in - you know...cows, goats, a couple of acres of vegetables growing. WOW ~ nothing like seeing your dream already on someone else's farm. I may have to either re-think my approach to herbs if I stay in this area, or else move further away so as not to compete. I may not be business-savvy yet, but I do know that the market is not large enough for both of us to make a living at it and seeing as how they are already so established, Thistle Cottage wouldn't survive in this economy with a new business providing the same service as that which is already thriving. I think I'll go visit them when they re-open in September and see if they would be willing to share some of their knowledge with me as far as planting, what sells best, etc.

So...I'm not looking at this as a set back but a minor challenge on the road to fulfilling my dream. I'll just re-evaluate my options and press on.

My sister is in surgery right now - please keep her in your thoughts. Love you Li'l Sis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment. Thank you for reading my blog.