Just a Bit about Me

My photo
I love living in the South: great weather and kind, friendly people here! I have an awesome adult daughter who continues to amaze and delight me at every turn. I write mysteries for fun, love-Love-LOVE dark chocolate, and am experimenting here with a food holiday blog. Hope you'll drop me a line from time to time!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Big Girl Panties - No Time for Fear

As most of you know, I've 'been made redundant' as they say in England - I'm losing my job on December 31st. Upon receiving the news from my boss, my immediate thoughts were OMG, what am I going to do? I'll lose my apartment with no job; who wants to hire an Executive Assistant who's over 50? My daughter's in her Senior year at a private college...how will I be able to pay for her tuition? I need new tires and I have no savings. Needless to say, it's been an emotional time that's really made me stop and think about where I want to go from here and what's really and truly important to me. I'm trying to stay positive about this, telling myself this is my opportunity to finally move to the beach (if I can find a job there) and that I can start seriously pushing to realize my dream. I've always wanted to be my own boss but fear always kept me in a safety zone of the 9-5 job with the security of a regular paycheck. I've piddled around with various sales things but that's just not for me. Now, I no longer have time for fear. I need an income and I need it coming in before 12/31. So my tiny kitchen is going to get used for so much more than cooking! I have so many herbal remedies to put together that I don't know how I'm going to do it all. I have salves and tinctures and teas and poultice kits to make. Herbal cleaning products to bottle and wreaths and sachets to assemble. Mini herb dish gardens to grow. I have to think about packing materials and order organic carrier oils and I need a coffee grinder for some spices and a marble mortar and pestle for other herbs and spices. I found a website to sell my herbal goodies so that's not a problem. Hmmmm, I obviously need a little help to get started as there's so much to do...Hey, I could have a prep party with my gal pals and other friends and of course, my li'l sis. Looks like I have the beginnings of a plan to start Thistle Cottage. I'm excited and scared in a good way but already I'm hearing that nasty little voice that says, "Who are you kidding - you can't do this." Well, I'm here to tell you...I've purposely switched my thinking from fearing failure and therefore not even trying to accomplish anything to anticipating success and plowing through details one at a time. Plain and simple....I'm puttin' on my big girl panties and getting down to it so shut up, Mr. Negative! I refuse to let anyone, even myself, stand in the way of my beautiful future. This is it for me. I no longer have the desire for or luxury of choosing fear - I am fighting for the rest of my life to be a success and I'm coming out swinging.

My thought for today (and thank you to my niece for this one):

“I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
Louisa May Alcott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment. Thank you for reading my blog.