Just a Bit about Me

My photo
I love living in the South: great weather and kind, friendly people here! I have an awesome adult daughter who continues to amaze and delight me at every turn. I write mysteries for fun, love-Love-LOVE dark chocolate, and am experimenting here with a food holiday blog. Hope you'll drop me a line from time to time!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Weinerschnitzel Day - Did you know there was a vegetarian option???

OK - I'm not too sure about the validity of this food holiday but what the heck, the name conjured up wonderful memories of visits to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA. We loved to eat at Das Festhaus, the 2,000 seat German beer garden replica. Besides fantastic food (OMG - you have to try the Black Forest Cake), great beer and some fantastic German wines, Reislings in particular, there's a wonderful oompah band (polka music and German favorites)that descends from the ceiling on a huge gazebo so you are serenaded by the singers/dancers while you dine. While weinerschnitzel was not on the menu last time I was there (a long time ago - I need to go back again for the food alone), Busch Gardens has something for everyone in the food category.


But back to the food. Weinerschnitzel. I just found out it was named for the city of Vienna in Austria. Weiner means Vienna in German. Hey - Vienna Sausages...little weiners. I'm getting the language connection now. Hmmm. So, it's not an original German dish. OK, learned one new thing today. However, I just can't quite wrap my head around the supposition that the dish had it origins in Italy to start with. Who knew?


One source describes Wiener Schnitzel as a classic Austrian dish made from breaded and fried veal - that's the schnitzel part, traditionally served with a wedge of lemon and potato salad. In Austria and Germany, this dish is quite popular and very easy to find; many nations have their own regional variations ranging from vegetarian Wiener Schnitzel made with celery root to Swedish style Schnitzel with gravy.


Wow - I was way off track on this one. I thought it was some kind of meat drowning in a heavy cream sauce over those spaetzle noodly-thingies.  I have to amend my previous statement: I've learned two new things today.


I'm getting hungry. I can't get to Busch Gardens tonight for some German food - anyone know of a good German/Austrian/Bavarian restaurant here in Raleigh, NC?


Until Tomorrow....


Guten Appetit! ~ The Busch Gardens Williamsburg website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment. Thank you for reading my blog.